WOW summer… you have been FLYING! Seriously, it’s like I just woke up from a long nap and all of a sudden there’s like a week left in August?! Well, I know I have been trying to make the most of this summer, and life in general – so of course there are no regrets, but summer coming to an end is always a little bittersweet. It symbolizes the end of another season, scrambling to get those last beach days in, and make the most of our flip flops. But it also means that crisp, refreshing fall is really just around the corner 🙂 My favorite season ❤
We took a day trip up to Portland Maine last weekend, always in search of good views, hiking, and foods. I of course went on a search for nearby farms to get some fresh Maine blueberries, and success was mine! For those of you who don’t know, Maine blueberries are teeny tiny sweeter versions of your typical somewhat tart traditional blueberry. I think “Maine” blueberries are common north of here, in Vermont and also in Canada. I got to bake a deeelish blueberry pie following our “Maine” adventure, and am sharing the recipe here:
– 1 green pint box of fresh Maine blueberries
– juice of 1/2 a large lemon
– 1/2 cup of pure Vermont maple syrup
– 2 tbs cornstarch
– 2 tsp cinnamon
– pie crust of choice! (I usually make my own but used Immaculate Baking Co’s crust this time- phenomenal choice. Found at whole foods!)
– optional coconut oil spray
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. In a bowl, whisk together lemon juice, maple syrup, cinnamon and corn starch
3. Toss blueberries gently in juice mixture
4. Spray pie pan with coconut oil spray and lay out bottom crust on pie dish, fill with blueberry mixture.
5. Lay top crust on blueberry filing, pinching the sides together and cutting slits in it to let the berries breathe.
6. Top crust with cinnamon and light drizzle of maple syrup if you like.
7. Bake for about 30 minutes, until you see top of crust begin to get golden brown, but remove from oven before edges get too brown.
Voila! If that doesn’t taste like summer’s sweet sweet ending, I don’t know what does 😉 Happy end of summer!