Ok, so we are always on the search for a healthier “sweet” right? Or just me? Always? Ok, even if it’s just me! I am forever experimenting, and recently put together an original recipe for Cacao Beet Cookies. They are reddish/brown (resembling a red velvet!), and are really tasty! These guys are absolutely perfect for the holidays 🙂 They are gluten free, and can easily be made vegan!
– Two 8.8oz packages of fully cooked LoveBeets– 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
– 1/4 tsp chia seeds
– 3 tbs maple syrup
– 1/4 tsp vanilla
– 1 egg (for vegan version see below*)
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour
*optional cacao nibs to top cookies
Instructions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Mash up beets (blend well if you would like a smoother consistency)
2. Add all ingredients and mix well. It’s ok if batter is a bit sticky.
3. Divide batter up into about 18 heaping spoonfuls. They can be chunky.
4. Bake cookies for about 15 minutes. If you need two pans on two racks, switch them halfway through the baking time.
5. Let cool & enjoy!
*for vegan version, add another 1/4 tsp chia seeds, so a toal of 1/2 tsp chia seeds. Mix with one of the tbs maple syrup and allow to expand slightly making a “maple chia” egg. And use that to mix with all other ingredients.