Funny how I ended up with this recipe, I had like 2 costco size bags of kale and didn’t want them to go bad, so kicked up the kale smoothies this week and made this awesome, so so easy casserole for dinner 😉 Funny how surplus or lack of ingredients sometimes spark our creativity right??
*This is also easily made vegan – use vegan cheese & flaxseed eggs as substitutes, or just leave them out.
*The quinoa I used has 7 grams of protein, but if you want to add extra protein, this would go great with chopped chicken sausage as well!
Here it is:
– 8 cups chopped kale
– 1 chopped zucchini
– 2 cups chopped butternut squash (or you can use spaghetti squash)
– 1/2 cup vegetable broth
– 1 cup quinoa (I used Carrington Farms ready to eat toasted quinoa, but any prepared one will do!)
– 1 1/2 cups low fat cottage cheese
– 1 egg
– 1 tbs smashed garlic
– 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
– 2 tbs vegannaise (or olive oil mayo)
– 1 tbs olive oil
– salt & pepper to taste
– parmesan cheese optional for top
– non-stick spray
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray large oven casserole dish with non-stick spray, set aside.
2. In a large stovetop, nonstick pan – heat olive oil on med-high heat, and cook butternut squash for 5 minutes.
3. Add chopped zucchini and vegetable broth. Cook 2 more minutes.
4. Add kale and garlic, cook another 2 minutes.
5. While veggies cook, in a bowl mix together quinoa, egg, cottage cheese, vegannaise, and cheddar.
6. Remove veggies from heat, and mix in with quinoa mixture. Spread mixture evenly in the casserole dish.
7. Sprinkle parmesan on top, bake in oven about 30 minutes.
Voila! The beauty of this dish is that it is great as a side dish with chicken or fish, or as a main dish. Also very yum with a dash of hot sauce on each serving 😉 Enjoy!!