I truly believe that cooking in a cast iron skillet just makes things so much tastier 😉 A southwest twist on cornbread, here is my version of jalapeño skillet cornbread… with almond milk! And peeps- it’s pretty freakin awesome if I do say so myself. This skillet cornbread goes great with beans, chili, or just about anything 😉
– 1 1/2 cups of cornmeal
– 1 1/2 cups milk of choice (I actually like to use almond or coconut milk here)
– 1 tbs baking powder
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1 egg
– 1 tsp salt
– 3 tbs coconut oil (or earth balance)
– 1 jalapeno (chopped, with seeds removed)
– 3/4 cup grated good sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees with skillet in it.
2. In the meantime, mix cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In separate bowl, whisk, milk, egg, 1/4 cup of the cheddar, and baking soda.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix. Fold in chopped jalapeño.
5. When oven is preheated, remove pan from oven, and allow coconut oil to melt in it. Let it bubble up.
6. Pour mixture into skillet. Add remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar.
7. Bake about 30 minutes, until edges are golden brown and toothpick comes out clean from center.