When the travel bug bites, it is sooo hard to shake off! But why would you want to?? 😉 I find that traveling- both near and far- opens my eyes to new experiences, people, culture, and so much more, this is why I love it so much! As I talk to others who travel, I find that many of us more health conscious folks encounter similar concerns about how to enjoy our travels, but with a healthy balance. How to eat healthy, be active, but also immerse in that culture, food and experience all at the same time? The answer? Simply that, it’s a balance.
I find that planning ahead is key to thoroughly enjoying a city in balance:
– spend some time beforehand researching fun and active things to do
– find a few good restaurants and food options in the areas you will be in that are also healthy options
– if weather permits, make your traveling about walking, jogging, or a bike tour to explore a city. This can be so much fun, and I love to do this with my hubs!
– relay your expectations to those you are traveling with. ie: “I can’t wait to dive into that southern food! But I definitely want to sign up for that walking tour of the city” etc…
So, that said… onto Nashville! Me being the planner that I am, I have been planning this trip for a several months now with a few girlfriends from home. We had a lot of great recommendations from friends, and were able to really balance the music city/southern/hipster Nashville experience and it was a wonderful time!
Nashville is a great city for walking around and exploring, just about any time of year! There are so many great neighborhoods which feature amazing foods, music of course, and so many other awesome experiences. So here’s my list- from my point of view of course 😉 A great balance of exercise, activity, great coffee and of course deeelish eats!
Some great neighborhoods to explore and walk around in: *all close to downtown (what we ended up doing was staying in Germantown, going for jogs in the morning, and then uber-ing to these neighborhoods to explore and walk around in- they were all about $5 uber rides!)
– The Gulch
– East Nashville/5 points
– 12 South
Places to Eat:
– Juice Bar: (Germantown, the Gulch) They have several locations, specifically in Germantown and The Gulch. They have deelish fresh juices, smoothies, salads, soups, and other healthy yet tasty treats. It is a great place for breakfast, or a mid-day juice/quick healthy meal.
– Pinewood Social (near downtown): it’s a great place for dinner, drinks, and bowling! It has an awesome hipster vibe, and the food is fresh and amazing, with lots of healthy and tasty options. Craft cocktails are to die for! And there is also Crema coffee shop there for a great post- dinner latte. The bowling alley is just one of many great activities that makes this a great place for groups. There is also an outdoor area for nice weather.
– Biscuit Love (the Gulch): it’s a fast trending brunch joint, for awesome southern style foods with a twist ie: kale, eggs & grits 😉 oatmeal, greek yogurt, and so much more! All around fun atmosphere and they also serve amazing coffees and drinks.
– Butchertown Hall (Germantown): killer guacamole, salads, and awesome meat/protein dishes as well.
Coffee Shops & Cafe’s:
– Steadfast coffee: my favorite this trip! It’s excellent for coffee and/or breakfast, some really great menu options such as eggs, oatmeal, avocado toast, salads, etc…
– Barista parlor: awesome craft coffee and breakfast style-eats
– Frothy monkey: awesome breakfast & lunch! Great coffee of course, lots of options with eggs, sandwiches, soups, salads, and definitely a lot of healthy options!
– Crema: Coffee, just amazing coffee. Do it.
Things to do:
– walk around downtown Nashville! Specially Broadway, and pop into any bar with live music, have a seat and hear some amazing tunes… your ears will be very happy 😉
– walk over the bridge downtown to the riverfront and there is a great grassy field there with flat cement surfaces to practice yoga or sit and meditate with beautiful views of Nashville
– run/walk around some of these awesome neighborhoods. The weather is great and there are always cool things to see
– Pinewood social for bowling (see above)
– look up a local yoga or spin class to break up the day and get a taste of nashville fitness 😉
– country music lovers! See a show at the Grand Ole Opry, visit the country music hall of fame, look up local groupon tours for country music history in downtown
* Nashville Fit is also an excellent resource for finding health & wellness things to do in Nashville!
* Remember to pack snacks whenever you travel! I usually end up over packing snacks 😉 But there’s always room for sharing! (and believe me- when I pull out my snacks, people always want to share!) And more importantly, I always have something healthy & satisfying to pull out of my bag if I get hungry between meals!
Above all- remember to have fun!! I find also when I travel “in balance” I enjoy myself much more, because I am not so worried about being so out of my routine. It’s good to change things up, but to keep it healthy & well 😉
Cheers and happy healthy travels!!