This recipe is absolutely delish and delightful all year round! I love it most because it is a prefect recipe to make portions of and take to work for the week, or freeze for a later time! This recipe is more soup-like, to make more concentrated, remove 1-2 cups of chicken stock from the recipe. *To make vegan/vegetarian see modifications at bottom.
White Bean Slow Cooker Chicken Chili Verde (yields approx 8 1 cup servings)
– 2 lbs organic chicken breast (usually about 4 large pieces)
– 1/2 chopped onion
– 1 large double salsa verde jar (if you are awesome enough to make your own, go for it! I love to use whole foods 365 version)
– 1 small can green chiles
– 2 cans white cannellini beans (or substitute 1/2 cup raw cashews for one cup of the beans)
– 4 cups chicken stock
– seasonings to taste
start with about 1/2 tsp each and as you like:
+ garlic powder
1. Put slow cooker on high setting (about 4-6 hrs), add onion, chicken, salsa and green chiles. (If chicken is too thick, cut along center to make it easier to cook through)
2. Rinse and drain white beans. Add to slow cooker with chicken stock and seasonings.
3. About 15 min before ready, remove chicken and shred with two forks. Put chicken back in and taste, adjust seasoning accordingly. Cook another 15-30 minutes depending on your preference.
4. Add crunchy tortilla strips on top and serve! I like to package in several containers to take easily for lunch that week 😉
*vegan/vegetarian modifications: remove chicken and chicken stock, substitute 2 cups veggie stock and add 2 cups chopped zucchini! Soo yum!