As the nights get colder, I find myself eagerly pulling out the crockpot and french oven and start leafing through warm stews, soups and other winter recipes… oooo yum! As I was looking through, I wanted to make a healthy version of a chicken tortilla soup that could be made either via slow cooker, or by the french oven/large pot if I don’t have much time. And voila! This recipe can easily be made vegan without the chicken and using veggie stock, and is naturally gluten free!
– olive oil
– 1 chopped carrot
– 1 chopped yellow onion
– 1 chopped zucchini
– 1 tsp minced garlic/garlic paste
– 1 cup frozen corn
– 1 can rinsed and drained black beans
– 1 can diced tomatoes
– 1 small 7oz can tomato paste
– spices to taste: salt, pepper, cumin, paprika,
chipotle seasoning/mexican seasoning, oregano
– salsa or diced red chili peppers (optional)
– 5 cups chicken stock
– 1 large boneless chicken breast
– tortilla chips
1) Sautee carrots, onion, zucchini, and garlic in olive oil until they start to soften.
2) Add chicken stock, beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, corn and spices – bring to a boil.
3) Add raw chicken, cover and reduce to a simmer.
4) After about 20 minutes, remove chicken, shred, and return to pot for about 10-15 more minutes.
5) Pour into bowls, top with tortilla chips and any other toppings- voila!
Beautiful, delicious chicken tortilla soup! Hearty, with a ton of veggies and great protein 🙂 Enjoy!