Turkey, stuffing, cranberries, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, pies- just a few of my personal favorite Thanksgiving classics! I have selected a few of these, and am sharing my “healthified” and easy to make versions here with you! A delish, and better-for-you spin on the faves 😉
– mini stuffed portobello mushroom caps: *ingredients = mini portobello mushrooms, olive oil, salt, pepper, parmesan cheese, celery
Clean mushroom caps and remove stems (clean, chop, and set aside stems), lightly coat with olive oil, salt & pepper. Bake in 400 degree oven for 12 minutes. Remove and set aside. While in oven- mix together parmesan cheese, chopped mushroom stems, and small chopped celery bits. Stuff mushrooms and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
– brussel sprout kebabs: *ingredients = brussel sprouts, olive oil, salt, pepper, balsamic
On stovetop sautée brussel sprouts with a bit of olive oil, salt & pepper. Toss until they just begin to soften but are still semi-firm. Add balsamic, remove and place on kebab sticks/toothpicks (3 per each).
– veggie crudités & hummus: *ingredients = assorted veggies and hummus or yogurt
Simple but always so good to have! Chop celery, carrots, bell pepper, & cucumbers. Set into a colorful display around your favorite hummus or yogurt dip!
– garlic smashed potatoes:*ingredients =gold potatoes, fresh garlic cloves, salt, pepper, earth balance, unsweetened almond milk
Boil gold potatoes in a large pot with garlic cloves (as many as you like). When potatoes are tender, strain them with garlic, mash together, add salt, pepper, earth balance and almond milk as preferred for consistency & taste.
– cinnamon baked sweet potato fries: *ingredients = sweet potatoes, olive oil, cinnamon, salt, pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Rinse and chop sweet potatoes into fries, with skins on. Coat fries with mixture of olive oil, cinnamon, salt & pepper in a large bowl. Spread onto cookie sheet and bake for 15 min. Flip/toss around and bake for another 15 min.
– sautéed green beans: *ingredients = fresh green beans, olive oil, salt, pepper, optional toasted almonds
Sauté green beans in about 1 tbs olive oil on a pan until desired tenderness. Add salt, pepper and sliced almonds.
– root veggie stuffing (grain free): *ingredients = chopped parsnips, carrots, onion. Mushrooms, garlic, olive oil, thyme, sage, salt, pepper
In 400 degree oven, roast the chopped veggies (except garlic & mushrooms) for 30 min or until tender. In pan sauté garlic, mushroom, and olive oil until tender. Mix all together with herbs & spices. Can keep in large chunks or quick chop in food processor for smaller pieces.
– fresh cranberry sauce (no added sugar): *ingredients = fresh cranberries, pineapple juice, orange juice, fresh orange zest, cinnamon stick, optional maple syrup or honey
On stovetop pan, bring cranberries and juices to a boil, reduce to medium and stir frequently about 10 min until cranberries start to break down. Reduce to simmer/low and add zest and cinnamon stick, simmer about 15 min. Add maple syrup or honey to taste. Let cool and store in fridge.
– veggie gravy: *ingredients = onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, olive oil, thyme, bay leaf, veggie stock, flour, red wine or vinegar, optional salt, pepper, brown sugar
Pan fry chopped veggies in light olive oil and a bit of broth until softened. Add herbs, 2 tbs flour, red wine, stir until thickened. Add 1 box of veggie stock, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 10-15 min until reduced. Salt, pepper, brown sugar to taste.
– tofurkey: follow instructions on packaging 😉
– turkey/chicken: *ingredients = chopped aromatics (onion, celery, carrot, apple), large sprigs of thyme, earth balance, salt, pepper
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Clean of neck & giblets, remove. Stuff cavity with chopped aromatic and sprigs of thyme. Rub between skin and meat with salt, pepper, and earth balance. Stick extra thyme all around. Pour chicken/turkey/veggie stock in bottom of pan. Put foil loosely over turkey, and baste every 30 min for about 3-4 hours (depending on size- check packaging).
– pumpkin cheesecake in mini jars: *ingredients = pumpkin puree, brown sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, cream cheese, crushed ginger snaps & graham crackers
Mix pumpkin puree with spices and brown sugar, set aside. Mix cream cheese with brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice, set aside. Layer jars with crushed ginger snap/graham cracker on bottom, cream cheese, and pumpkin filling on top.
– baked apples: *ingredients = granny smith apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, earth balance
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Core apples from the top, place in baking dish. Stuff apples with cinnamon, brown sugar, and earth balance. Pour boiling water to just cover bottom of dish. Cover dish with foil and bake for about 45- 50 min.
– fall fruit salad: *ingredients = chopped apples, grapes, persimmons, gooseberries, fresh figs (if available), pomegranate seeds, balsamic, yogurt
Stir chopped fruits with homemade dressing of pomegranate seeds, balsamic, and yogurt.