My mom loves this recipe, and I LOVE tahini especially with sweet things, so I have adjusted there recipe a bit to accommodate my taste buds and hopefully yours 😉
Tahini is a paste of sesame seeds, similar to a nut butter. The best kind to bake or cook with in my opinion is “raw sesame tahini” with no additional ingredients. Sometimes roasted sesame seed tahini is ok for baking with, but not with salt or other ingredients added. It can usually be found in the “exotic” food aisle of your grocery store, or sometimes in the nut butter section.
Here goes! One of my favorites 🙂
Tahini & Chocolate Chip Cookies: Yields approx 18 cookies
– 1/2 cup sesame tahini
– 1/2 cup brown sugar
– 4 tbs room temperature earth balance
– 2 eggs
– 1 1/4 cups of flour (or can sub almond meal)
– sprinkle of salt
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 2/3 cups semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
– 1 tsp vanilla
– sesame seeds to top
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Beat together tahini and earth balance (in kitchen aid or hand mixer), add brown sugar.
3. Add eggs and vanilla one at a time.
4. Fold in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Try to keep batter fluffy. Stir in chocolate chips.
5. Scoop small balls of dough onto parchment lined pans or cookie sheets. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
6. Bake for about 10 minutes.