The days are getting shorter, but here in the thick of fall, I try to soak up as much sun as possible. Let’s be real here- Boston is really hard when the weather changes. This city is amazing, and that’s what keeps us all here, but winter is tough! Cold weather is tough! It’s hard when the sun doesn’t come out for a few days in a row, and we have to work extra hard to stay active and motivated. I read a staggering statistic that one out of every 10 people in the Northeast suffer from some form of Seasonal Affective Disorder – aka lack of sunlight which can cause feelings of being down & depression. So what do I do? Two main things:
1) SOAK UP EVERY RAY OF SUN I CAN!!! Ha it’s so true though. I check the forecast every morning, and when I see the sun out, you better betcha I’m outside- taking a break in my day for a walk, eating lunch on a park bench, getting a coffee with a friend, whatever it may be, so that I can soak up those extra rays. Some quick tips to help:
- make it a daily routine to take a mid-day walk (I am huge on this- no matter the weather, but especially if the sun is shining!)
- go to bed earlier, and wake up earlier (get as many hours of sunlight as you can)
- if it’s cold, bundle up and get outside
- buy flowers/plants for inside- having life around makes a huge difference
2) EMBRACE the seasons!! Embrace the change! There is something to be said about living in a place that really cherishes each season. It means change, it means adjustments, but it also is fun. I get excited when I get to start wearing my fall boots and vegan leather jackets 😉 I come from Colorado, so beanies and knitted hats are always something of a fashion statement. I love fall activities, and love that I get to look forward to them every year. So get out those scarves and hats, turn on the fireplace, start using the crockpot… acceptance and embracing makes everything more enjoyable and trust me, you will feel happier!!