I am TOTALLY in love with fall ingredients, and butternut squash is a favorite of mine. This soup is hearty, healthy and super easy to make! Try it with Italian style spicy chicken sausage to add a kick of flavor, or a sweeter chicken-apple sausage.
– 1 medium-large butternut squash
– cooking spray
– olive oil
– 1 package/5 links of chicken sausage
– 1 medium onion (chopped)
– 4-5 cups chicken broth
– 1 cup almond milk (optional)
– 2 crushed garlic cloves
Directions: Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
1. Cut squash in half length-wise, remove seeds (for garnish later). Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking pan and coat with cooking spray. Season squash with salt & pepper, and place face-down on parchment paper. Bake in oven for about 45 min.
2. While squash is in oven:
a. chop up chicken sausage and sauté in 1 tbs olive oil on medium heat on stovetop pan for about 10 min, until lightly browned (keep separate from soup pot)
b. Take squash seeds and wash thoroughly. Pat dry on a paper towel. Line a baking pan with parchment paper, lightly coat seeds with 1 tbs olive oil & sprinkle salt. Bake at 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes until toasted. (if you hear popping, remove from oven or reduce heat)
c. In a large soup pot, sauté chopped onion in 2 tbs olive oil on medium heat about 6 minutes. Add garlic & cover.
3. When squash is ready, remove from oven and scoop out flesh. Add to soup pot. Add chicken stock, almond milk, and salt & pepper to taste. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
4. Using an immersion blender (or food processor), blend soup until creamy consistency. Add sausage and let simmer about 5 more minutes. Serve into bowls immediately & enjoy! 🙂
*for butternut squash seeds as a garnish: after the squash is done roasting, spoon out the seeds and rinse them off. Then return them to baking pan in oven for about 10 minutes. Use as a garnish/topping for each bowl of soup!